Monday, July 21, 2008

A Prayer for Baby Angel

I am spending this week teaching at my childrens' Vacation Bible School. Today the craft was a prayer pot where the kids decorated the pot and filled it with popcicle sticks labeled with names of people to pray for. I asked one of the 7-year-olds in my class about his sticks, and he told me: Mom, Pop, God, and Angel. He explained that Angel was his baby cousin who died at birth, and that his aunt named her Angel because she was in heaven.

I was so touched that this little guy and his prayer for his cousin, it stuck in my head for the rest of the day. He was so little to grasp such a situation, and clearly it stuck in his mind and affected him. It made me think of the work that my fellow photographers do through the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep program. They come to the hospital at the family's request to photograph the precious moments they have with their child, and provide them with lasting memories of their own angel.

So tonight, no photos, but I offer a little prayer for Baby Angel. And for all of the other little angels and their families.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that little child had such a sweet soul to remember the baby.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. I think it is important to remember that even though we get tired waking up in the night, or listening to the tired whining or tending to a jealous sibling- that some people would give anything to have those "troubles" if it gave them their angel back.
thanks for the perspective

Anonymous said...

Just finished a NILMDTS session so I am happy to see this post. Prayers for the "angel" family!!!!